The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) is set to change the way that millions of people travel, including Paraguayans. But what is the ETIAS, why was it implemented, and how will it impact travelers from Paraguay?
ETIAS Visa Waiver for Paraguayan Citizens
Firstly, the ETIAS is only applicable if you are traveling to the Schengen Zone, which includes 26 countries in Europe. It also only applies at the end of 2022 and onward. If you’re traveling before this date or you are not visiting the Schengen Area, you don’t need to apply for an ETIAS.
If such an application is required, don’t worry, as it’s very quick and straightforward.
What is the ETIAS for Paraguayan Citizens?
The ETIAS was implemented to secure the borders of the Schengen Zone, an area that spans 26 countries within Europe, many of which are connected by internal borders. The purpose of the ETIAS is to ensure that high-risk travelers are not granted access to the region, where they would otherwise be allowed to travel freely, wreaking havoc in the process.
Residents from 60 countries outside of the area are required to submit an ETIAS before they visit the area. If an application is not made or is unsuccessful, they will be refused access.
The ETIAS application can be completed online through the official website. It shouldn’t take more than ten minutes and the only things you will need are:
- Your name and date of birth
- Your passport number
- A credit card or debit card
- Basic details about your travel destination
A €7 fee must be paid at the end of the application process (which is why you need a credit or debit card) and authorization should be granted or refused within 72 hours.
Where Can Paraguayans Visit with an ETIAS?
There are 26 countries within the Schengen Zone, including all of the following:
- France: The most-visited country in the world, mainly due to the timeless appeal of its capital city, Paris.
- Spain: Home to Madrid and Barcelona, as well as countless beautiful small towns.
- Greece: In addition to mainland locations such as historic Athens and quaint Nafplio, Greece has many small islands that are paradise on earth, including volcanic Santorini and historic Crete.
- Italy: As well as being the birthplace of the Roman civilization, pizza, and the powerful Venetian empire, Italy has played a huge role in the history of fashion, film, and music.
- Germany: From Oktoberfest in Munich to the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Germany is a vast and surprisingly affordable country.
- The Netherlands: A flat but inspiring country that has birthed many artists and innovators and has some of the best museums in Europe.
Where Do Paraguayans Go On Vacation?
According to a report published in 2021, Paraguayans often list Thailand as their dream destination. But as is the case all over the world, the countries they visit the most are the ones nearby.
Paraguay is a full member of Mercosur, a trade bloc that was established in the early 1990s. It means that its citizens have access to all other countries in this bloc, from full members like Uruguay, Brazil, and Argentina, to associate members like Chile, Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia.
Can Paraguayan Citizens Travel to the US Without a Visa?
Residents of most South American countries are required to apply for a visa before they visit the United States, and Paraguay is no exception.
Which Countries Can Paraguayans Visit Without a Visa?
Passport holders in Paraguay can freely visit the United Kingdom without a visa or a visa waiver. They will be granted access for up to 6 months at a time. The UK is part of Europe, but it is not in the European Union or the Schengen Zone, and so the ETIAS doesn’t apply.
Most South American countries are open to Paraguay citizens and they can also visit Turkey, South Africa, Qatar, the Bahamas, and dozens of other popular tourist destinations.